What is a Septic Tank?
A septic tank is a settlement chamber, which provides treatment to home sewage systems and drainage water. Overflow from the tank goes to a soakaway or drainage field.
Our expert team regularly carry out domestic septic tank repair and septic tank service in Lincolnshire and the surrounding areas.
Septic tanks can take the form of a 2 or 3 chamber tank. Older tanks (typically pre-1980) were usually brick or concrete. Pre-fabricated in a factory from glass reinforced plastic (GRP). Spherical in shape with a neck, inlet and outlet pipes. Septic tank treatment must be carried out regularly, which may be a drainage field or reed bed.
Older septic tank drainage sometimes did not conform to any Building Regulations. They may connect to a soakaway or even directly into a watercourse. These options are no longer acceptable. It is best to get the experts in to carry out domestic septic tank surveys, so you know if you need to upgrade.
Do you have a domestic septic tank in Lincolnshire that needs some attention? We carry out septic tank repair and septic tank services in Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire. If you live in these areas and would like more information please contact us. Our experienced team are very knowledgeable when it comes to home sewage systems.
Septic Tank Installation & Repair
Croft Drainage offer advice over the phone and offer free* initial visits to conduct a drainage survey.
We can also install new septic tank systems or maintain and repair your existing septic tank system; this includes refitting dip pipes. As well as being able to work on all domestic and commercial drainage systems.
For addresses within 20 miles of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire the first site visit is free.
Septic tank installation requires careful consideration and planning, for example:
- Does your property have enough room for a septic tank?
- Does it have enough room for a drainage field?
- Are you aware of local factors such as water tables and soil types?
Choosing A Home Sewage System
There are many factors to consider when looking into a new domestic septic tank. The size of the septic tank system required depends on a number of factors such as:
- The number of bedrooms in a home
- The rate at which water flows through the soil on the property
A septic tank system does not work if overloaded so future expansion plans need to be considered.
Modern septic tanks are designed to be very efficient, low maintenance and have an environmentally friendly discharge.
Septic Tank Installation
Croft Drainage Solutions recommend the installation of a suitable size septic tank from a reputable manufacturer. There are a number of cheaper options on the market, but we believe in supplying the most appropriate system for your needs. We are happy to discuss the options on site for septic tanks in Lincolnshire or Nottinghamshire. We will also cover initial and long term costs.
The best home sewage system will offer the following benefits:
- No smell and foul odours in the soil and grass
- Low ongoing maintenance needs
- A solid reputable guarantee
- A long-term, low maintenance solution
How Does a Septic Tank Work?
The purpose of a septic tank is to treat waste water from your property.
Traditionally it was a large rectangular box made of brick, stone or concrete. They are now normally a bottle-shaped plastic tank. They work like a simple waste water treatment works. The treated waste water drains from the septic tank’s outlet pipe to a drainage field.
The septic tank holds wastewater from the property and allows solid debris to settle at the bottom of the tank (the sludge layer). Lighter waste rises to the top to form the scum layer. Between the two layers lies clarified liquid. This flows into an outlet pipe and is gradually dissipated through a drainage field. Bacteria in the septic tank naturally break down organic waste matter and slow the build-up of the sludge layer.
The cost for septic tank repair in Lincolnshire is often covered by the existing insurance policies. We can advise you if this may be the case and handle the claim and rectification works if necessary. For this cover to apply it is not necessary to have separate drainage and plumbing insurance policies.
We can talk you through the problem and if necessary arrange a FREE site visit to guide you through the most appropriate solution. To either your septic tank service or septic tank repair in Lincolnshire. We also provide septic tank surveys to test the best place for your new tank. Contact us today for a new septic tank in Lincolnshire.
Septic Tank Emptying
- The manufacturer will recommend desludging intervals. A septic tank is deemed ‘full’ when 35% of the interior space contains solid material, or sludge. The tank should always be full of water, which is what you will see if you open the tank.
- The solid materials settle at the bottom of the tank and must eventually be pumped out. If the tank fills above 35% , there is a risk of solid waste entering the drainage field or clogging of the inlet to the tank. Both of these situations can result in major problems and costly repairs.
- These are guidelines only and in some case more frequent emptying is needed, for example: In an older system with an undersized tank used by a large family. This will require much more frequent pumping than a new system used by only a few people.
- A failing system will require more frequent emptying.
Septic tank installation
Very professional team worked well did us a really good job. Would recommend them to anyone.